Tuesday, September 7, 2010

#6 and Dear Family #..............7? ha ha who knows :)‏

Letter #6 Monday, August 16, 2010
Hello Family!

Well, many things have happened here and there. Sis. Riley and I were able to do two church tours this week. As part of the mission rules, every lesson you teach to a potential investigator or investigator you ALWAYS have to extend the invitation to them to be baptized. So, for both church tours Sis. Riley extended the invitation but both didn't committ. The first tour that we did was with this woman named, Patrica*, who isn't a religious person, but likes to study religion. Ha ha, let's say she wasn't the most...'cooperative' person but it was neat to share the gospel with someone who wasn't part of the church. She was my first non-member lesson! She wasn't rude or anything, but rather, brushed it off, didn't like to consider certain things and so forth. But, we gave her a Book of Mormon and hopefully a seed was planted. She seemed really surprised when Sis. Riley said that Christ was at the head of our Church and not President Monson...that seemed to get her attention...

The other church tour was with, Mark*, who's wife is a member and he's really interested in the church, but he feels that he's not ready....even though he's been a faithful hometeacher for many years, says consistent family prayer with his wife, has own set of scriptures and reads them..............ddddddddddddddddaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! But yet, he still thinks he isn't ready and wants more time. But, through that tour I received the message from the Spirit that I'm nothing if I don't teach by Him. I can talk until I'm blue in the face about how the Gospel is true, that Joseph Smith is a true prophet, that the church is Restored, but if it's not with the spirit testifying through me I will never be effective. It made me realize how important it is to be worthy of his presence and it's through the Spirit that the word progresses. I'm learning many many things out here on my mission that I know I wouldn't learn anywhere else, so I feel that I'm progressing ever so slowly as I'm learning the ropes of being a missionary.

The work here in Tuscany is slow but it's picking up a little. We're able to make appointments with members to help increase their faith to do missionary work, but finding investigators and trying to teach them is difficult. They're either not home (go figure), their busy, extremely sick etc etc etc. It feels at times like we're wading through mud and it can be frustrating....and right now my eczema on my hands is starting to flare up. No bueno. Ok, let's be honest, I'm a little discouraged. It's hard out here, there's this thing called 'agency' and it sucks (take this off the record:)! People are just so stubborn, why don't you listen?! 'I pitty the fool!' :) Missionary work is HARD! It tries your patience, your faith, knowledge, diligence, your bladder.....let's just say 'D' ALL THE ABOVE. But through it all, I feel that my testimony is getting stronger, my ability to teach is improving, and I'm learning as I go day by day, etc. I know that this is the right thing to be doing, and I'm grateful for the love and support everyone gives me whether it goes said or unsaid. I'm feeling supported every step of the way.

I hope everything is going well down in ye olde Utah and I love you all very much.

Love, Debbie
Letter #7 August 30, 2010
Hello Family!

This week has been awesome! This past Thursday Sister Riley and I (with a member friend) went to the Cardston Temple and it was awesome.

This temple is very different because it has wood work inside instead of white. So, as you go throughout the session the wood becomes darker and darker as you progress. I went into the temple with a prayer in my heart about a certain question that I had and came out with an answer. After leaving the temple I felt at peace and had a different perspective about things. That's what the temple can do for us, regardless if you're endowed or not you can still experience the Spirit as you go and keep Him with you when you leave. The Cardston temple is 2 hours away from my area.....it amazes me how blessed we are in Utah to have temples dotted all over the state. Take the time to go as often as you can and you will be blessed with the insight and help that you need.

Sis. Riley and I had the opportunity to teach 3 non-members this week! One of them who's name is Brent* has accepted the invitation for us to teach him more lessons! So, we have an investigator!
WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! He's amazing. He's been coming to church these past three weeks and was already reading his own copy of The Book of Mormon. We taught him the Restoration and we watched 'The First Vision.' Afterward we asked how he felt about it and he said he didn't know how to exactly describe it but he felt good about it and what the gospel has to offer. We extended the invitation for him to be baptized.......................................................................................and............................................he said he wasn't ready yet but he was planning on being baptized in the near future! So, accepted us to continue to teach him and we're really excited.

I love you family and I hope that all is well. Miracles happen we just need to have faith.

Love, Debbie
*Names have been changed

No comments:

Post a Comment